OracleGuy





Remember me

[Register]

Previous Posts By Category

View Blog

You are viewing one specific blog entry. If you'd like to view the latest 6 entries, click here.

Moving to MySQL 5.0

So this weekend I decided to take the leap and upgrade to MySQL 5.0 since it finally had some cool features I had been waiting for like stored procedures. Previously I had been doing all of my development on the final version of 4.0 running in the 4.1 behavior mode.

The upgrade was interesting to say the least. I decided to try out the build that is available that has an installer program that allows you to upgrade it with much easy in the future. So after downloading and installing it, I copied all the files from my previous MySQL installation into the new one for all my databases. That worked pretty well, I was able to get phpMyAdmin working again pretty quickly and viewing all my data.

Bad problems really broke loose when I tried to get the rest of my sites and applications working. Basically all the PHP based ones were working stellar but that was because I am running PHP5 which has the newer MySQL extensions. The reason that is important is that they started using a better, longer encryption algorithm on the passwords and the older extensions don't support that. So if you are getting errors about the client not supporting the authentication protocol, you might want to take a look here.

So I went through all my stuff, upgrading the MyODBC drivers, the MySQL .NET connector dll, etc. and got it to connect and after having to tweak a couple queries, everything started working. A tip, if you need to upgrade MyODBC, uninstall the old one first, it just makes things easier.

Though on one of my ASP sites I was getting errors like the following:

Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01CA)
Variable uses an Automation type not supported in VBScript
/server_space.inc.asp, line 25

Basically it has something to do with how the new ODBC driver works with the ADO object and the data types it returns. I was able to get around these errors, which typically occurred on integer columns by running them through the ASP Round() function first. Type casting them using cInt or Int didn't seem to work.

Other than the initial problems I had, I've been satisfied thus far. I still haven't really gotten a chance to play with all the cool new features yet though. I'd also recommend downloading the MySQL Administrator client and Query Browser; they seemed to be pretty cool programs. They are similar to Microsoft SQL Server's Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer applications.

Posted on: Nov 8, 2005 at 1:35 pm - (0) comments.

View past entries - OracleBlog Version 1.0.005